Phoenix Christian traces its roots to the fall of 1912, after the Weed family had traveled west from Kansas, settling in what is now Peoria, AZ. At that time the Weeds established a school called Old Paths Bible School. The school was located near 73rd Avenue and Thunderbird Road. It continued on for many years at that location and under the name of Old Paths. The school showed slow growth, and in 1947, it was decided to add a Christian high school. The plan at that time was to build on that location. It soon became apparent that the Peoria campus was not strategically located and that a new location should be explored. A temporary home was selected on the grounds of Capitol Christian Church at 110 N. 16th Ave. On May 2nd, 1949, Old Paths Christian High School became Phoenix Christian High School.
Ezra Weed and Ralph Eaton decided to purchase 10 acres of property located at 17th Avenue and Indian School. Indian School Road at this time was a gravel road without curbs. This land could be purchased for $30,000. The $10,000 from the sale of the property on the Old Paths School site was used by Phoenix Christian High to help purchase the property.
In 1951, a group of people witnessed the groundbreaking for the new Phoenix Christian High School buildings. Throughout the hot summer months, many workmen labored and sacrificed, giving of their own time and money as the construction went forward. In the meantime, gifts were received from various individuals to build the school.
In the years to follow, Phoenix Christian added a gymnasium, library, science building, music building and a classroom building. Structures and building remodels have continued over the years to house our academic departments, international department and computer lab.
It had been the vision of Phoenix Christian to add an elementary school to feed our high school. Several years ago, Light and Life Elementary School and Central Christian were merged with Phoenix Christian. We are now a unified preschool through high school. The preschool is across the street from the elementary and high school on the grounds of (previously) Light and Life Free Methodist Church. From preschool through high school, we are preparing each student for the abundant life through an encounter with God’s truth.
Our students come from all over the Valley. This includes Peoria, Scottsdale, Glendale, Laveen, Goodyear, Litchfield Park, Avondale and Buckeye. Our approximately 426 students represent many churches of a wide variety of denominations.
Our student body embraces diversity. Currently, Caucasian students comprise 51% of our student body, while the remainder includes Hispanic, Asian, African American, Native American and Multi-Racial. We thank God for the blessing of such a wide array of God's children. We currently enroll close to 40 international students from around the world. Phoenix Christian is truly global in its reach and influence.
The central Phoenix location, selected by the Weed family decades ago continues to provide a great opportunity since we are still the only Christian school with a comprehensive preschool through high school program in the vicinity.